Article <vbdu0u$mitl$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vbdu0u$mitl$1@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: I just fixed the loophole of the Gettier cases with mt new notion
 of {linguistic truth}
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2024 22:47:42 -0500

On 9/5/2024 9:35 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 9/5/24 8:58 AM, olcott wrote:

>>> Insufficient for practtical purposes. You may stipulate that
>>> nitroglycerine is not poison but it can kill you anyway.
>>>

>> The point is that <is> the way the linguistic truth actually works.
>> Millions of these stipulated relations in a knowledge hierarchy
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontology_(information_science)
>> comprise human knowledge expressed in language.
>>
>> Stipulated relations are like the Prolog Facts. Truth preserving
>> operations are like the Prolog Rules. Anything unprovable by
>> Facts and Rules in the system is untrue in the system.
>>
>> Self-contradictory expressions are rejected as not truth bearers
>> instead of categorized as undecidable propositions.
>
> Which just shows you don't even understand the problem that Gettier was
> pointing out. It isn't "bad logic", it is knowing you have a correct
> interpretation of your observations.
>
> Your problem is it is impossible to determine "sufficient verification".

It was a justified true belief (all three were stipulated)
except the justification had a loophole allowing it to be
insufficient justification under Gettier.

Just like it is stipulated to be true, it is now stipulated
to be "sufficient justification". The strongest justification
is a necessary consequence from stipulated truths.

*The simplest example of this is the syllogism*
Major premise: All humans are mortal.
Minor premise: All Greeks are humans.
Conclusion/Consequent: All Greeks are mortal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syllogism#Basic_structure

Other justifications would be less certain
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/induction-problem/