Article <vbf5kt$rtg4$2@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vbf5kt$rtg4$2@dont-email.me>

From: Tom Elam <thomas.e.elam@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Flatbed scanner ... pros/cons
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2024 11:03:57 -0400

On 9/2/2024 12:24 PM, Alan wrote:
> On 2024-09-02 05:13, Tom Elam wrote:
>> On 9/1/2024 7:25 PM, -hh wrote:
>>> Looking at replacing an old Canon 'CanoScan LiDE 110' that seems to
>>> be fading away (bulb's going yellow).
>>>
>>> Its USB connected; I use it quite a bit w/MacOS's "Image Capture"
>>> app, and documents to PDF.
>>>
>>> Looking around at equivalents, I think I've narrowed it down to two:
>>>
>>> * Canon CanoScan LiDE 400
>>>
>>> * Epson Perfection V39 II
>>>
>>> It looks like both are currently supported in MacOS Sonoma 14.x
>>>
>>> Any particular plus/minus or other observations?  Cost difference is
>>> negligible ($80 vs $90).
>>>
>>> A couple of things that I've found:
>>>
>>> * Epson is USB-2 (disappointing) & has separate power supply
>>> * Canon claims USB-C but not which flavor/version thereof.
>>>
>>> * Documentation isn't clear if the Epson supports scan-to-PDF.
>>>

>>> Thoughts?
>>>

>>> -hh
>>
>> Why a single purpose scanner when for a little more your can scan,
>> print on paper/photo, and fax? Why USB? HP and others have all-in-one
>> wireless devices with document feed for scanning multiple pages or can
>> be used as a flatbed. My HP all-in-one supports 1200 dpi scans, do you
>> really need more or is it an issue with the size of the scan bed?
>
> As usual, you spout off as if your situation is teh ony one that could
> be relevant.
>
> 1200dpi is certainly more than adequate for printed documents, but only
> a complete ignoramus could be unaware of the fact that HH has been
> taking many, many photographs for many, many years.
>
> And while I'm suspect (I was going to right "sure" there, but unlike
> you, I don't pretend to omniscience) that almost all the pictures he
> takes today are taken digitally, it seems likely that he has at least
> some pictures taken the old-fashioned way that he might want to scan in
> digital form.

Except that in the statement above he says "I use it quite a bit
w/MacOS's "Image Capture" app, and documents to PDF." and "Documentation
isn't clear if the Epson supports scan-to-PDF." This indicates that he
is more concerned about scanning documents, not pictures.

1200 dpi works for printed pictures unless you really want to blow them up.