Article <vbfqfv$2frd$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vbfqfv$2frd$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

From: Andrew <andrew@spam.net>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: whatsapp interoperability
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2024 20:59:44 -0000 (UTC)

Andy Burns wrote on Fri, 6 Sep 2024 21:22:19 +0100 :

> Meta have given a update on how they will allow other messaging apps to
> communicate with whatsapp/messenger users ...
>
> <https://about.fb.com/news/2024/09/an-update-on-how-were-building-safe-and-secure-third-party-chats-for-users-in-europe/>

I use WhatsApp to communicate with the kids in Germany, while I have to use
Google Voice to communicate with their respective German adults.

Given your helpful information above, that means the kids & I will get...
1. Notifications when people try to communicate with me
2. Combined or separate inboxes being my choice
3. Rich-messaging features such as reactions, direct replies,
   typing indicators, and read receipts
4. With later inclusion of rich-messaging features such as
   the option to create groups and voice & video calling

Is that a good summary of the article's content?

If so, anyone know if that applies to both Android & to iOS?
(it probably does, but Apple has a habit of including useful
things only when and particularly only where they are mandated).

With the above caveat in place that Apple allows interoperability only
after kicking and screaming, and even then, only to the letter of the law
and no more... how does what WhatsApp is doing compare with basic RCS?