Article <vbg08c$vmfa$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vbg08c$vmfa$1@dont-email.me>

From: Bart <bc@freeuk.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Top 10 most common hard skills listed on resumes...
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2024 23:38:05 +0100
 <874j75zftu.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <valrj7$367a8$2@dont-email.me>
 <87mskwy9t1.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <vanq4h$3iieb$1@dont-email.me>
 <875xrkxlgo.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <vapitn$3u1ub$1@dont-email.me>
 <87o75bwlp8.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <vaps06$3vg8l$1@dont-email.me>
 <871q27weeh.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20240829083200.195@kylheku.com>
 <87v7zjuyd8.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20240829084851.962@kylheku.com>
 <87mskvuxe9.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <vaq9tu$1te8$1@dont-email.me>
 <vbci8r$1c9e8$1@paganini.bofh.team> <20240905094916.287@kylheku.com>
 <vbd8b8$g8iv$1@dont-email.me> <vbeick$p6kd$1@dont-email.me>
 <vbfdqj$t82m$1@dont-email.me>

On 06/09/2024 18:23, James Kuyper wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Sep 2024 10:35:16 +0100
> Bart <bc@freeuk.com> wrote:

>>> So you've correctly identified the very fundamental asymmetry.
>>>

>> Sure, if you want to completely disregard all the cases where the
>> symmetry does exist.
>
> Anything can be considered symmetric, if you ignore all the aspects of
> it that are asymmetric. As a result, calling something symmetric for
> that reason isn't worth commenting on.
>
> A more useful way of describing what you're commenting on is not to
> falsely claim that assignment in general is symmetric, but rather that
> the particular assignment you're interest in is symmetric. And it's only
> symmetric syntactically; the associated semantics are profoundly asymmetric.

In every kind of assignment, a variable is denoted in the same way on
either side of '=' if accessing its value (either to read or write). It
has the same type. It has the amount of indirection.

The same applies to more elaborate terms: if it can appear on the LHS,
it can appear unchanged on the RHS:

  A[i+1].m = x;
  y = A[i+1].m;

That A[i+1].m term can be written the same way on either side, but it
doesn't need to be on both sides of the same assignment! That wouldn't
be that useful.

My A = A; example was to highlight that aspect in a simple manner.

 > And it's only
 > symmetric syntactically; the associated semantics are profoundly
asymmetric.

As I said, the types are the same, the number of indirections are the
same. And internally, I've given examples of IL and native code where
the operands show the same properties.