Article <vbju6l$1sqao$2@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vbju6l$1sqao$2@dont-email.me>

From: Bart <bc@freeuk.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Top 10 most common hard skills listed on resumes...
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2024 11:27:33 +0100
 <87mskwy9t1.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <vanq4h$3iieb$1@dont-email.me>
 <875xrkxlgo.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <vapitn$3u1ub$1@dont-email.me>
 <87o75bwlp8.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <vaps06$3vg8l$1@dont-email.me>
 <871q27weeh.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20240829083200.195@kylheku.com>
 <87v7zjuyd8.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20240829084851.962@kylheku.com>
 <87mskvuxe9.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <vaq9tu$1te8$1@dont-email.me>
 <vbci8r$1c9e8$1@paganini.bofh.team> <vbcs65$eabn$1@dont-email.me>
 <vbekut$1kd24$1@paganini.bofh.team> <vbepcb$q6p2$1@dont-email.me>
 <vbj6ii$1q6mh$1@dont-email.me> <20240908115827.00007521@yahoo.com>

On 08/09/2024 09:58, Michael S wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Sep 2024 05:44:16 +0200
> Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 06.09.2024 13:34, Bart wrote:
>>>
>>> In more complicated cases in languages, then some asymmetry does
>>> come up. For example, suppose C allowed this (my language allows the
>>> equivalent):
>>>
>>>     (c ? a : b) = x;
>>
>> In Algol 68 you can write
>>
>>      IF c THEN a ELSE b FI := x
>>
>> or, in a shorter form, as
>>
>>      ( c | a | b ) := x
>>
>> if you prefer.
>>

> Are you sure?
> It seems to me that you got it backward.

The point here is that you can write such a 2-way select on the LHS of
an assignment. C doesn't allow that unless you wrap it up as a pointer
expression:

   *(c ? &a : &b) = x;

In language like C, the LHS of an assignment is one of four categories:

   A = Y;         // name
   *X = Y;        // pointer
   X[i] = Y;      // index
   X.m = Y;       // member select

A is a simple variable; X represents a term of any complexity, and Y is
any expression. (In C, the middle two are really the same thing.)

Some languages allow extra things on the LHS, but in C they can be
emulated by transforming the term to a pointer operation. In the same it
can emulate pass-by-reference (which objects which are not arrays!)