Article <vbksu1$216mu$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vbksu1$216mu$1@dont-email.me>

From: Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: BOLO pervert cyclist
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2024 15:12:00 -0400

On 9/8/2024 11:18 AM, AMuzi wrote:
> On 9/7/2024 9:55 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>>
>> You've made such statments dozens of times - effectively saying "but
>> cars kill more people and we don't ban cars."
>>
>> I've rebutted that over and over, pointing out that the benefits of
>> cars outweigh the detriments - something not true of the type of
>> firearm you passionately worship. (Despite not owning an example!)
>>
>> And society certainly does _try_ to curtail drunk driving and
>> speeding. But gun worshipers rail against any attempt to restrict use
>> of guns.
>>

> Nonsense.
>
> We live among citizens who truly and sincerely want to abolish personal
> autos and trucks.  You are not among them but that's a difference in
> degree rather than general outlook.

Banning cars and trucks is a tangential point, one I did not address;
and in raising it you are yet again focusing on a minuscule portion of
the population. I've absolutely never met anyone who wanted to abolish
personal cars and trucks.

> Many view the NFAs (1936, 1968 et seq)  as unconstitutional considering
> the plain language of the 2d Amendment, but that is a political dead
> end.  Just as dead as 'banning autos'.

Yes, there are far more who consider _any_ restriction on guns to be
unconstitutional. (Far more than the ~zero who want to ban personal cars
and trucks.) Those people were rightfully considered nut cases from
roughly the 1790s until the well financed takeover of the court system
within the past 20 or so years. I say that because there were reasonable
restrictions on firearms right from the nation's beginning.

> That said, present restrictions are many, punitive, Byzantine, expensive ...

They haven't bothered me a bit; nor any member of my extended family;
nor any of my close friends, including those who hunt.

> and largely to little effect on crime, especially murder,  given the
> significant number of firearms crimes by 'prohibited persons' with
> stolen weapons and no paperwork whatsoever.

The gun industry has successfully saturated the nation with their wares.
Gun fetishists are constantly adding to the supply, making it far too
easy for "prohibited persons" to grab a gun in a moment of anger.
Further increasing the supply, and the firepower, is worsening the
problem, not helping it.

> Automatic weapons have been
> severely regulated since 1936, but the current supply of auto sears for
> popular pistols from the PLA to US criminals is rampant.

Right. And gun fetishists are responsible for the very existence of
Glock switches. And they argue against legal efforts to reduce the problem.

> p.s. The AR platform requires significant modification for auto
> operation and as such is a rarity.

Really? Bump stocks no longer exist?

--
- Frank Krygowski