Article <vbl3rv$2244k$4@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vbl3rv$2244k$4@dont-email.me>

From: AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: BOLO pervert cyclist
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2024 16:10:24 -0500

On 9/8/2024 2:53 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 9/8/2024 10:51 AM, AMuzi wrote:
>>
>> As with any item (clothing, steel roofing material, tablet
>> computers, gravel bicycles) people do seem to like
>> expressing their opinions as in your link above. Which is
>> fine. People also seem to like reading others' opinions,
>> which is also fine.
>>
>> As with any opinion, facts are one thing but relative
>> importance of various criteria, or omitting some criteria
>> altogether, is quite another.
>
> At the same time, it's not correct to say any opinion is as
> correct as any other one.

It absolutely is.

If I claim, 'My bike is lighter than yours', we can quantify
that. It's either true or it is not.

But if you claim, 'Pickups are too expensive and even more
costly per mile for fuel so you ought not buy one', that
mixes provable statements (cost, mpg) with opinion which is
not.  Your typical pickup owner will respond, 'Yes,
expensive and worth it to me'.  He's as right as you are.

--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org