Article <vbpa4k$2tn8p$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vbpa4k$2tn8p$1@dont-email.me>

From: Rolf Mantel <news@hartig-mantel.de>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: BOLO pervert cyclist
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2024 13:21:56 +0200
 <n45sdjt7c89t201vsba04q4p6nc8stc683@4ax.com> <vblcmn$23nv7$8@dont-email.me>
 <02jtdj968o694vnh6ah51b0tvmdn82d2na@4ax.com>
 <1nEDO.435880$VK2e.312511@fx01.ams4>
 <mb6udj58hnhjie04rjfg532eu4vkd48jo3@4ax.com> <vbnkov$2hi4h$2@dont-email.me>
 <b3pudj93app3turcp5tod6kg5ue8ra5glq@4ax.com> <vbo8hr$2nteo$3@dont-email.me>
 <qgtvdjl0r6m2kvf5nol46mrhii7qq0t2qt@4ax.com>
 <VAUDO.581098$EVn.179563@fx04.ams4>
 <h280ej9ft0dsbtso1q57dlvk08coqmdeqi@4ax.com>

Am 10.09.2024 um 12:54 schrieb Catrike Ryder:
> On Tue, 10 Sep 2024 09:47:33 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

>>> Google maps don't make your trips any shorter.
>>>
>>> With Google Maps, if I'm going somewhere in particular, I generally
>>> look for less time on the road, rather than less miles, and I don't
>>> need to be sure of the distance. Oft times, we just go for a ride,
>>> stop for a meal at some down home, mom and pop restaurant, and maybe
>>> take a walk along a strip of seashore, or on a path through a wooded
>>> park.
>>>
>>> On our drive back and forth to Colorado a few years ago, we got
>>> enthralled with the Ozarks, and wasted several hours driving around
>>> and up and down on narrow windy two lane roads. You talk about
>>> experiencing new vistas on your bicycle, but you can't really see very
>>> much while traveling on a bicycle. It's nice to have a vehicle that
>>> you don't have to concern yourself with where there is going to be
>>> some charging stations. Gas stations are almost always right around
>>> the corner or at the next exit, and almost always with an open lane.

>>> Oh yes, I'll bet an EV presents special problems in the winter. A
>>> heavier car can be a good thing for going through snow, but a
>>> hindrance on ice and packed snow, and using the defroster and heater
>>> are of no concern.
>>>
>> Unless you have a 1st generation Nissan leaf it’s not an issue, EV range
>> will drop in cold weather but not massively so don’t believe click bate
>> articles!
>
> I'm pretty sure the batteries don't work as well, and then there's the
> heater. You can drive without the air conditioner, even in Florida. I
> like the windows open unless I'm driving over 40 MPH. I suppose one
> can drive in 15 degree weather without the heater on, but I wouldn't
> wan to do it.

The heater /air conditioner has a big impact on the first 10 miles to
bring the car to a meaningful temperature.  On a 300 mile trip at 95F
with air conditioner, battery consumption is very similar to the same
30o mile trip as 70F without air conditioner.

>>> Stop and go traffic can be a
>>> bother, but it never makes me worry about running out of gas. An
>>> accident ahead on a limited access highway that stops or slows things
>>> down to a crawl can be much more than a bother, but again, it's quick
>>> and easy to keep the tank full enough for that not to be an issue.
>>
>> Stop go traffic or busy traffic a EV will cope with fine  as unlike a ICE
>> car if stop it doesn’t use motor power that’s why EV range is worse on the
>> highways vs around town.
>
> Most stop and go traffic isn't stopped long enough to recover what
> it'll cost to start up.
>
> Starting and stopping takes more energy (fuel) than when cruising
> along. That's true with either one.

An EV recovers 70-80% of the braking energy, so start-stop is not an
issue.  What is a real boon is that start/stop at 30 mph gives you close
to double the range of cruising at 60 mph.

> If you read about driving
> efficiently, you'l learn not to waste energy by hard braking. You lose
> by wasting momentum and having a standing start instead of the rolling
> start because of your gradual slowdown. Even with an EV, it pays if
> you don't brake hard...

Sure, I can get 10% extra mileage than my son at similar driving speeds
but 10% is not significant.  The Bicycle mindset "if you need to brake
hard you probably should have started coasting 30s ago" does help a bit.

> and yeah, I know that with some EV's braking can charge the battery.

Make that all EV cars (but not EV bicycles).

Rolf