Article <vbrg7v$3fphv$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vbrg7v$3fphv$1@dont-email.me>

From: Mikko <mikko.levanto@iki.fi>
Newsgroups: sci.logic
Subject: Re: I just fixed the loophole of the Gettier cases
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2024 10:18:23 +0300
References: <vb0lj5$1c1kh$1@dont-email.me> <vb1o9g$1g7lq$1@dont-email.me> <vb3t1j$22k1l$1@dont-email.me> <vb4aq6$2r7ok$1@dont-email.me> <vb6p9v$3aebo$1@dont-email.me> <vb70k8$3b4ub$2@dont-email.me> <vbepsc$q8v6$1@dont-email.me> <vbes94$punj$12@dont-email.me> <24f85bcd40f57685aab93d45f15501178e526d0f@i2pn2.org> <vbh3td$1a0lq$1@dont-email.me> <vbnbps$2g6vo$2@dont-email.me> <vbp3r5$2svm1$1@dont-email.me> <vbphp9$2vfau$4@dont-email.me>

On 2024-09-10 13:32:25 +0000, olcott said:

> On 9/10/2024 4:34 AM, Mikko wrote:

>>> It is not that incompleteness cannot be differentiated
>>> from inconsistency it is that the inconsistency of
>>> self-contradiction has been mistaken for undecidability
>>> instead of invalid input.
>>
>> Of course incompleteness can be differentiated from incosistency.
>
> Self-contradictory expressions are incorrect deemed to be
> undecidable expressions instead of invalid expressions.

Invalid expression is a non-expression (i.e., a string that does
not satisfy the syntax rules of an expression) used as if it were
an expression.

> Is this "actual piece of shit" "a rainbow" or "a car engine"?
> I can't decide, therefore the formal system is incomplete.
> (The correct answer is neither, yet the correct answer is not allowed).

Who allows the question but not the correct answer? You?

>> An incosistent theory cannot be incomplete, at least if any ordinary
>> logic is used. If you want to use a paraconsistent logic then you
>> must be very careful with terms of ordinary logic.
>>
>> The basic theory behind Prolog is Horn Clauses, where incompleteness
>> cannot be differentiated from consistency. Standard Prolog has features
>> that break the logic if used but the terms "incompleteness" and
>> "consistency" are only defined for logic, not programming.
>
> Tarski's Liar Paradox from page 248
>     It would then be possible to reconstruct the antinomy of the liar
>     in the metalanguage, by forming in the language itself a sentence
>     x such that the sentence of the metalanguage which is correlated
>     with x asserts that x is not a true sentence.
>     https://liarparadox.org/Tarski_247_248.pdf
>
> Formalized as:
> x ∉ True if and only if p
> where the symbol 'p' represents the whole sentence x
> https://liarparadox.org/Tarski_247_248.pdf
>
> "this sentence is not true" is not a truth bearer
> that must be rejected as invalid input and not the
> basis for the undecidability theorem.

The string "this sentence is not true" is not a valid arithmetic sentence
and therefore not relevant to definability of arithmetic truth. Arithmetic
truth is about sentences like

    ∀x ∃a ∃b ∃c (x < a ∧ x < b ∧ x < c ∧ a*a*a + b*b*b = c*c*c).

--
Mikko