Article <vc61e6$21skv$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vc61e6$21skv$1@dont-email.me>

From: Robert Finch <robfi680@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Tonights Tradeoff
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2024 03:13:08 -0400

Added support for capabilities to Q+. Most of the instructions are
handled by the ALU. Did not want to add a separate capabilities unit to
the design. It added about 6k LUTs to the ALU. All the decoding and
re-encoding of capabilities chewing up LUTs. They are handled in
compressed format. Uncompressed format would require 128-bit registers
for 32-bit capabilities. However, it is less logic to use uncompressed
formats.

I am wondering about the phrase ‘if the resulting capability cannot be
represented exactly’ in the docs. It seems to me it would be more
important that the originating and destination capabilities have exactly
the same bounds, base and length. So, I have assumed the phrase to mean
that if the capability base and top is not identical to the originating
base and top. So, it is checked if the base or top got altered during
the calculations. If the originating capability was represented exactly,
then the destination one will be too.

Used a modified version of the compressed format which resolves the
capability down to a word address instead of a byte address. This gives
a little more range for which the exponent is not needed. I think it
does mean that objects smaller than a word in size will not be entirely
protected.

With ECC hardware it may make more sense to use 10-bit bytes for an
implementation assuming 10-bits plus 5-check bits. Then there would be a
bit available for tagging memory. Been toying with the idea of ECC
checked computing. After a higher level of reliability.