Article <vc70sl$285g2$4@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vc70sl$285g2$4@dont-email.me>

From: David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no>
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Computer architects leaving Intel...
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2024 18:09:56 +0200

On 15/09/2024 14:40, Michael S wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Sep 2024 12:19:02 -0000 (UTC)
> Waldek Hebisch <antispam@fricas.org> wrote:
>
>> Michael S <already5chosen@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> bar.x[8] = 42 should be defined to be the same as
>>>    char tmp = 42
>>>    memcpy(&bar.y, &tmp, sizeof(tmp));
>>
>> That has two drawbacks: minor one that you need to know that
>> there are no padding between 'x' and 'y'.
>
> Padding is another thing that should be Implementation Defined.

It is.

> I.e. compiler should provide complete documentation of its padding
> algorithms.

They do.  Or, they should.  Often they are lazy and say "defined by the
platform ABI".  Really, it is only the alignments that are needed.

C defines the minimum padding between members in a struct - you get the
padding needed to ensure that members are correctly aligned.  I don't
think the C standards disallow additional padding, but it would be an
extraordinarily strange implementation if there were anything more than
this minimum padding.

But I certainly wouldn't mind if the standards dictated this minimum
padding, and then there would be nothing left to the implementation
other than alignments.