Article <vc73qd$295a0$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vc73qd$295a0$1@dont-email.me>

From: Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid>
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.ipad,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: Does Apple normally add the UK when the EU forces Apple to care
 about its customers?
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2024 17:59:55 +0100

On 2024-09-15 16:17, Alan Browne wrote:

> On 2024-09-14 12:30, Java Jive wrote:
>>
>> On 2024-09-14 16:26, Alan Browne wrote:
>>>
>>> The European USB-C fiasco just creates more e-waste.
>>>
>>> Apple, in its own good time, would have brought USB-C to iPhone, etc.
>>> Indeed, the newest iPhone would likely have been the launch USB-C
>>> iPhone.  Instead the EU forced Apple to go a year early.
>>>
>>> All this "decision" does is create early e-waste of lightning
>>> connectors and some wall-warts.
>>>
>>> Government over regulating.  EU!
>>
>> BOLLOCKS!  The above is just yet another predictable example of Apple
>> propaganda & EU-bashing.  The simple truth is that nearly all the
>> other manufacturers had already adopted the USB-C standard while it
>> was still voluntary, but Apple had more or less refused point blank
>> [my caps to highlight the overwhelming majority]:

I note that you snipped the quote of the numbers of overwhelming
majority, how unsurprising given your posting record.

> Apple is a business and make business decisions.  Apple is one of the
> original companies that _defined_ USB-C.  But, they also jumped ahead of
> everyone with the Lightning connector quite a while before that - and
> therefore there was (is) a lot of Lightning based cables and accessories
> out there.

And, even worse, from memory there are at least two EU technical boards
giving advice to EU legislators over such matters, both of which Apple
contribute to, so you have to ask yourself why they didn't bring their
products into compliance sooner?  They knew that stronger legislation
would very likely follow the bringing in of the voluntary guidelines,
they presumably must know how long their products last, so they could
have worked out by what future model they would likely have to become
compliant, but apparently they didn't bother to think through, or just
didn't care, what all this would mean for their customers, who would
have to ditch working equipment through their negligence on this issue.
Why not?  Obviously I don't actually know, but it looks very much like
arrogance to me, but whatever the reason, any e-waste and inconvenience
caused to customers was caused by Apple, not the EU, who gave them more
than enough time to comply, as proven by the fact that nearly all other
manufacturers' products were compliant long before the requirement
became compulsory.

> From Apple and Apple's customers point of view, the adoption of USB-C
> just lessens the life of existing materiel.

As explained countless times in this thread, that is Apple's fault for
not complying to the guidelines in a timely manner.

> Various other Apple products had already transitioned (iPads,
> MacBooks...) so it was a matter of time before the iPhone would follow.
> Just not yet until the EU forced their hand - result: more e-waste - not
> less.

As above, Apple's fault, not the EU's

> And by the way, using 'bollocks' in upper case doesn't make your
> argument better.

But does emphasize the point that your argument was, indeed, bollocks,
and still is.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk