Article <vc9f32$2sq9d$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vc9f32$2sq9d$1@dont-email.me>

From: Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: gun carrry on bikes
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2024 10:24:33 -0400
 <BacFO.733442$azJ4.36608@fx16.ams4> <vc45tj$1gaju$5@dont-email.me>
 <vc4sn4$1li1o$3@dont-email.me> <vc6usg$27805$2@dont-email.me>
 <IZEFO.75551$4J12.6936@fx12.ams4> <vc77pv$29vut$1@dont-email.me>
 <zwGFO.171043$b6j.58009@fx11.ams4>
 <t16fej508hbiktljt4pvfqmkar3747qcdf@4ax.com>
 <IOTFO.80168$4J12.65986@fx12.ams4>

On 9/16/2024 6:32 AM, Roger Merriman wrote:
> John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't ember where but I think I read that if a Royal Navy ship
>> captured a slave ship the Slaver Ship would be (by the Navy) and money
>> credited to the officers and Crew of the capturing ship.
>
> after legal abolition may well have been a bounty, pre that no as the
> political classes and so on where pro it or at least not pro ships
> capturing other nations ships and causing diplomatic tensions!
Forgive a slightly off-topic question, but:

Early America had lots of slavery. It was critical to the economy of
America's southern states, and eventually caused our Civil War. Because
of that (and other factors) there's much current American discussion of
the horrors of slavery.

But many, many societies had slavery, including the British Empire. I've
tried to ask how slavery is currently discussed in other such countries.
IIRC I've never gotten a good answer. In at least one prominent case, I
was accused of condoning slavery by merely asking my question - an
astonishing logical disconnect.

So Roger, how much is Britain's past association with slavery currently
discussed? What are the attitudes?

--
- Frank Krygowski