Article <vc9h43$2tfte$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vc9h43$2tfte$1@dont-email.me>

From: Peter <confused@nospam.net>
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.ipad,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: Not sure about the UK but Apple just removed its backronymed Apple Intelligence from every iPhone in Europe
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2024 15:59:15 +0100

Andrew <andrew@spam.net> wrote:

> Apple just removed Apple Intelligence from every iPhone in Europe
> https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2024/09/14/apple-iphone-16-pro-apple-intelligence-european-union-dma-new-iphone/
>
> Apple has the finest marketing organization in the world, much like Trump
> does, in fact - where it's likely just a stalling tactic since AI isn't
> ready. R&D? Not so much. (No company on the planet spends less than Apple
> on R&D per revenue, so that's why Apple is 3 generations behind on AI.)
>
> Given Apple had to finally put 8GB of RAM in the iPhone just to run AI,
> it's interesting how AI (all by itself) is making Apple spend R&D dollars.
>
> Given Apple won't release a competitive AI for over a year anyway, it may
> be a good move to "blame the EU" for AI not to be released to EU customers.
>
> Don't know if the UK is affected though.
> Do you?

Since Apple's AI is going to be an update to iOS 18 and not in the original
phone, Apple can remove the UK as the phone number doesn't point to the EU.

Actually I'm not sure how Apple determines a device is in the EU.
What if the device is an iPad - which means that iOS has no country code?

If that iPad has data, Apple might geolocate to the IP address.
Which Apple might geolocate based on snoooping where the iPad's ISP lives.

Or maybe Apple communicates with the carriers and blocks the EU that way.
If Apple is any good at unblocking, Apple can tell if someone is in the UK.

There must be a way for Apple to look you up in a database Apple keeps.
How else can Apple tell if an iOS device lives in the EU or in the UK?

Maybe Apple uses only your initial registration information perhaps?
Or maybe Apple saves and refers to all your location services queries.

I don't know what happens if you merely visit the EU when you're updating.
How does Apple tell if a phone is in the EU versus if it's in the UK?