Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vc9lq5$2u802$1@dont-email.me>

From: James Kuyper <jameskuyper@alumni.caltech.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Top 10 most common hard skills listed on resumes...
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2024 12:19:17 -0400
 <87o75bwlp8.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <vaps06$3vg8l$1@dont-email.me>
 <871q27weeh.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20240829083200.195@kylheku.com>
 <87v7zjuyd8.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20240829084851.962@kylheku.com>
 <87mskvuxe9.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <vaq9tu$1te8$1@dont-email.me>
 <vbci8r$1c9e8$1@paganini.bofh.team> <vbcs65$eabn$1@dont-email.me>
 <vbekut$1kd24$1@paganini.bofh.team> <vbepcb$q6p2$1@dont-email.me>
 <vbgb5q$1ruv8$1@paganini.bofh.team> <vbhbbb$1blt4$1@dont-email.me>
 <87tteqktr8.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <vbkjqk$201ms$1@dont-email.me>
 <87ttenk2nq.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <vbps3c$31s4d$1@dont-email.me>
 <875xr3jaz0.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <867cbccn78.fsf@linuxsc.com>
 <vc8vgr$2one0$1@dont-email.me> <20240916042822.629@kylheku.com>
 <vc9cjc$2s6vu$1@dont-email.me>

On 2024-09-16, Bart <bc@freeuk.com> wrote:
> On 16/09/2024 12:30, Kaz Kylheku wrote:
>> Yes; "I hsve my own personal version of the Bible in which many of its
>> arbitrary stories are otherwise" is probably not a good way to approach
>> a Bible study group.
>
> So this is a Bible study group now?

No, but there are some key similarities. Both bible study groups and
this newsgroup have an authoritative text to reference. However, the
nature of that authority is quite different in the two cases. Bible
study groups believe that the Bible is divinely inspired. Those who are
sufficiently familiar with the C standard know that it was created by a
committee of experts, fully capable of making mistakes. Many (most?)
Believers consider the Bible to be incapable of being wrong.

The C standard is also incapable of being wrong, but in a very different
sense - the C standard defines C, there is no alternative to compare it
with, in order to say that the C standard is wrong. The C standard might
be inconsistent, unimplementable, badly designed, or incomprehensible,
among many other defects if might have - but as the official definition
of C, it cannot be wrong.
Any such defects can be corrected by filing a defect report and
convincing the committee that the report is correct. If they agree, the
next version of the standard is likely to contain revised wording to
address the issue. Try doing that with the Bible.