Article <vc9v87$2vi8l$4@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vc9v87$2vi8l$4@dont-email.me>

From: Zen Cycle <funkmaster@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Stuck BB
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2024 15:00:23 -0400

On 9/16/2024 1:57 PM, Mark J cleary wrote:
> My Wilier has a stuck right cup BB. At the moment the cranks spin fine.
> It has an FSA Mega Exp crankset that is the one that is not pinch bolts
> but uses self extracting allen key to put on drive side crank arm. Has
> the wavy washer in the set up. I think that is why the bearings went bad
> because it allows moisture to get in not sealed like a regular shimano
> crank and external BB.
>
> The BB is of course and external BB from FSA. The let side cup bearings
> went bad so I used a Shimano BB60  cup because I had a spare one. The
> crankset works beautiful now. However I would like to simply try and use
> the whole Shimano BB60 bracket. I cannot however get the right side cup
> off. I realize it is left hand threaded but it is really stuck. I tried
> putting in a vice and using the bike to turn but no luck.

I was going to suggest that.

> I have managed
> to chew the notches pretty good but it will take the wrench at this point.
>
> Any suggestions on how to get the cup free. I actually think it would be
> easier to simply hacksaw the cup and take it out but I don't want to
> mess up the treads in BB of the bike. I will take any and all
> suggestions on how to get this cup off. At the moment the cranks spin
> fine because the bearings are fine on the right side cup but I just
> don't like the set up. I may even go to a shimano R7000 crankset. ]

I'm sure Andrew may have some sage advice, but if you're beginning to
see damage to the cup, I'd suggest taking it to a shop.

If you still want to DIY, get one of these to match your threading first.

https://www.amazon.com/HOZAN-C-402-Bottom-Bracket-Tap/dp/B000BSBSLQ/

--
Add xx to reply