Article <vcbhbo$3ecjh$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vcbhbo$3ecjh$1@dont-email.me>

From: David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no>
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Computer architects leaving Intel...
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2024 11:15:36 +0200

On 16/09/2024 22:15, Thomas Koenig wrote:
> David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no> schrieb:

>>> It has happened, see the illegal (but sometimes useful)
>>> 6502 instructions, or the recent RISC-V implementation snafu
>>> (GhostWrite).
>>
>> I have seen plenty of undefined behaviour in ISA's over the years.  (A
>> very common case is that instruction encodings that are not specified
>> are left as UB so that later extensions to the ISA can use them.)
>
> A much better idea is to raise an exception, that way you can
> be sure that nobody uses it for nefarious purposes.

Sure.  But not all processors are big enough to support such exceptions
- many of those I have used are really small.  (An "unimplemented
instruction" exception also lets you use it for non-nefarious purposes,
such as supporting binary compatibility with other members of the
processor family, or as convenient user extensions.)

>> I was
>> just thinking of the reactions you'd get if you made an ISA where
>> attempting to overflow signed integer arithmetic was UB at the hardware
>> level, so that you could get faster and simpler instructions.
>
> Hard to see how this would be possible... but I realize this
> is a hypothetical example.

Yes.