Article <vcbvnb$br3b$1@solani.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vcbvnb$br3b$1@solani.org>

From: Retrograde <fungus@amongus.com.invalid>
Newsgroups: misc.news.internet.discuss
Subject: Re: once-in-1,000-year rainfall event
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2024 13:20:44 -0000 (UTC)

On 2024-09-17, Kerr-Mudd, John <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Sep 2024 22:58:31 -0500
> JAB <here@is.invalid> wrote:
>
>> A once-in-1,000-year rainfall event from an unnamed storm floods homes
>> and forces rescues in North Carolina
>>
>>  Floodwater surged into homes, stranded vehicles and forced water
>> rescues in coastal North Carolina on Monday after a tropical
>> storm-like system dumped historic amounts of rain in a matter of
>> hours.
>>
>> "It's probably the worst flooding that any of us have seen in Carolina
>> Beach," Town Manager Bruce Oakley told CNN of the tourist town not far
>> from Wilmington. "We've had to rescue people from cars, also some from
>> houses and businesses."
>>
>> https://www.cnn.com/2024/09/16/weather/tropical-storm-helene-south-north-carolina-climate/index.html
>
> See also parts of central Europe where they've had 4 days of deluge;
> https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/16/world/europe/deadly-europe-floods-romania-poland-austria.html

The "in X year" metric is going to soon have no meaning; perhaps it
already does.  We've had "1 in 200 year" storms in two successive years,
and I think the statistics break down.

NC got 18 inches of rain. Yes, that's a lot.  But not inconceivable -
any decent hurricane (any Texans want to chime in here?) can dump that
kind of rain.  This is the future and maybe even the present.

Makes you rethink that low-cost home built in a low spot next to a
stream bed.  Like camping next to a flash-flood gulley in the desert.
You're inches away from death.

Those videos of Vienna and central Czechia look really bad.