Article <vcc2pp$3hs4r$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vcc2pp$3hs4r$1@dont-email.me>

From: Rich <rich@example.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: load video to youtube
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2024 14:13:13 -0000 (UTC)

The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 17/09/2024 13:27, Rich wrote:
>> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>> Why are people who design websites so insistent on using one pixel
>>> wide light grey borders on boxes that need filling out, over a white
>>> background ?
>>
>> You can blame Jory Ive of Apple for bringing out the one pixel wide
>> light grey coloring so everything looks flat and lifeless.
>>
> You mean it wasn't Lennart Poettering?

LP can be blamed for a lot of bad things, but the very light grey on
bright white is not his baby.

> But Apple, that figures....
> Never let functionality get in the way of 'artistic creativity.'

Yep.  And then google's great need to ape everything Apple resulted in
their adoption of the same stupid 'artisticness'.

>> You can blame Google's Material Design guides for popularizing the
>> iphone "all must be white" shit into web pages.
>
> Wait till your eyesight goes and you start blowing up the website size
> and pushing the important stuff off-screen

Slightly already there, although I do set Firefox's "zoom text only"
setting as the google idea of "zoom whole entire screen" is just
totally asinine.

But the result is sometimes overlapping text where some idiot
/designer/ thought it proper to include css to force fixed width boxes
for their tiny text on their 300dpi macbook monitor.  Nevermind that
HTML natively already sizes those same boxes to fit content if they
just leave things alone.