Article <vcc9cj$3iuk6$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vcc9cj$3iuk6$1@dont-email.me>

From: Tom Elam <thomas.e.elam@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: For those of you breathlessly awaiting news of my recent flying
 activities
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2024 12:05:40 -0400

Well, it was a pretty quiet summer for flying, normally a very busy
Civil Air Patrol season. This year we have some new pilots in the state
so I stepped back to let them get some experience. That also freed up
more time to pursue my RC hobby and travel to Canada and Europe. The new
pilots took advantage, and we never missed an opportunity to fly cadets
due to lack of pilots.

This month I took over as the Assistant Operations Director for the
state CAP Cadet O-Flight program. My predecessor decided to step down
after 6 years on the job. And a great job he did, too

Measured by flights and hours flown this is the single most important
Indiana CAP flying program. Including responsibility for all Indiana CAP
flying, I have held similar, even more intense, jobs in the past, so
stepping in was not a problem.

We already have requests in hand for 112 October O-Flights, so it's
going to be a very busy month for me. My predecessor set up a shared
tracking Excel spreadsheet that helps keep track of requests and what is
actually flown. Thanks Ralph! CAP NHQ has an excellent budget tracking
system as well.

I passed my 2024 checkride with flying colors and looking forward to
next year. Still in great health, a January FAA physical should not be a
barrier.

I also have enjoyed several 2024 trips in my flying club's aircraft.

In a few hours I am going down to a southern Indiana airport for some
O-Flights and looking forward to a night flight back home. Also looking
forward to a busy October.

At age 78 well aware my flying days ahead are numbered, but I'm going to
enjoy what has been part of my life for almost 58 years as long as I
can. When it's over I'll have a library of memories spread across 5
logbooks totaling over 4,000 flying hours that I can take off the shelf
and remember with great fondness. It's been quite a ride.