Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vccco0$3k5fm$1@dont-email.me>

From: Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Top 10 most common hard skills listed on resumes...
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2024 19:02:55 +0200
 <vapitn$3u1ub$1@dont-email.me> <87o75bwlp8.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
 <vaps06$3vg8l$1@dont-email.me> <871q27weeh.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
 <20240829083200.195@kylheku.com> <87v7zjuyd8.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
 <20240829084851.962@kylheku.com> <87mskvuxe9.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
 <vaq9tu$1te8$1@dont-email.me> <875xrivrg0.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
 <20240829191404.887@kylheku.com> <86cylqw2f8.fsf@linuxsc.com>
 <871q2568vl.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com> <vavmbk$13k4n$1@dont-email.me>
 <87cylo494u.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com> <vb09gd$16mr5$1@dont-email.me>
 <20240831195350.785@kylheku.com> <86mskrrvco.fsf@linuxsc.com>
 <vbj9qb$1qi2h$1@dont-email.me> <86sety9yd6.fsf@linuxsc.com>

On 17.09.2024 15:57, Tim Rentsch wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 01.09.2024 22:07, Tim Rentsch wrote:
>>
>>> [...]  The most important purpose of
>>> the ISO C standard is to be read and understood by ordinary C
>>> developers, not just compiler writers.  [...]
>>
>> Is that part of a preamble or rationale given in the C standard?
>>
>> That target audience would surely surprise me.  Myself I've
>> programmed in quite some programming languages and never read a
>> standard document of the respective language, nor did I yet met
>> any programmer who have done so.  All programmer folks I know used
>> text books to learn and look up things and specific documentation
>> that comes with the compiler or interpreter products.  (This is of
>> course just a personal experience.)
>>
>> I've also worked a lot with standards documents in various areas
>> (mainly ISO and ITU-T standards but also some others). [..]
>
> My comment is only about the C standard, not any other standards
> documents.

Yes, that was obvious.

Are trying to say that the "C standard" is substantially different
with respect to "readability" to other standards? - In the context
of what has been said, that it's a replacement of a textbook (or at
least maybe a supplement)? - Obviously you seem to agree that it's
not, since elsethread you say "The C standard is a reference, not a
tutorial." and I agree with that; since that was actually what I
expressed (or at least tried to express; sorry, if that was unclear
to you).

>> [...]
>
>> I mean, what will a programmer get from the "C" standard that a
>> well written text book doesn't provide?
>
> The text books being imagined here don't exist, because there is no
> market for them.

I'm speaking about existing textbooks for programming languages.
(Not sure what you're reading or implying here.)

> Very few developers read the C standard.

Yes, that was also my impression. (And I'm sure to know the reason;
standards are not suited for, not written for general programmers.
they, IMO obviously, have another target group.)

> But the
> impact and influence of those who do is much larger than the small
> numbers would suggest.

What influence? (I wasn't speaking about any influence or reach.
I was just speaking about the target reader-audience of standards,
and about the role of standards and textbooks for programmers.)

Janis