Article <vcct9b$3mlrs$2@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vcct9b$3mlrs$2@dont-email.me>

From: Mark J cleary <mcleary08@comcast.net>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Just a thought
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2024 16:45:16 -0500

Since I deal in high end archtop acoustic guitars this thought occurred
to me. I repair guitar and bikes and service them while they are
different some things are quite interrelated.

1. Tuning and setting up intonation on the guitar with strings is very
similar in many respects to build wheels. A set of gradual iterations.
Yes I can build a wheel and use my ear to get even tension. My ear is
very close spoke tension tool.

2. Parts are interchangeable and different setups yield different
results. Tuners can wear out like BB. Tailpieces changed to get
different response like cassettes.

3 Adjusting brakes and rotors are much like setting a neck all the stuff
needs to be square.

Now here is the bigger difference. Bikes and technology change and are
almost nothing like the bike used in the TDF in the 1930's. However the
finest acoustic archtop guitars made in the 1930s are still build the
same way and with the same material almost to a match. The finest
sounding guitars generally are those from the 1930s but todays guitars
sound wonderful. The only thing is you cannot make a new guitar that is
85 years old even if you use wood that is 85 years old sitting around in
the shop.

My words of advice are basically at the core bikes might not be all that
different for all but the few roadies in the world. Most are just using
them to get from one place to the other.
--
Deacon Mark