Article <vcdcsb$3rsol$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vcdcsb$3rsol$1@dont-email.me>

From: Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Stuck BB
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2024 22:11:23 -0400

On 9/17/2024 3:59 PM, Zen Cycle wrote:
> On 9/17/2024 9:10 AM, AMuzi wrote:

>>> Something else just occurred to me - If his frame is aluminum and the
>>> bearing cup is aluminum, it may have galled. In that case, even
>>> notching the cup isn't going to work. In fact, doing so may damage
>>> the cup such that it won't be possible to replace the bearing, you'll
>>> basically have to toss the thing.
>>>
>>> The question is, how do you tell if it's galled or just stuck from
>>> corrosion or some adhesive?

>> Even with a lot of displaced material, a slit or at the extreme two of
>> them will relieve the pressure and allow removal.
>>

> I'm not an ME, but that's not how I understood galling works. I was told
> the two surfaces bond on the molecular level, I suppose one might be
> able to 'peel' the two components apart, but that would either leave
> and/or remove enough material such that the remaining threads would be
> likely damaged beyond use.
> Not being an expert in this area, I might have some misunderstanding.

I'm a Mechanical Engineer, but I think we need a Metallurgical Engineer
at this point. But we've been talking about parts that are not in
motion. As I understand it, galling requires relative motion.

The problem with aluminum and steel, as in this situation, is different.
It's a layer of aluminum oxide forming at the interface, which adds
thickness to the aluminum and causes the aluminum component to
essentially clamp onto the steel component. AFAIK there's no
metal-to-metal bonding. But it's a famous problem with aluminum
seatposts in steel frames. Searching online will show that problem is
pretty common and quite difficult.

--
- Frank Krygowski