Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vcho2d$l9gd$1@owenng.dont-email.me>

From: root <root@255.255.255.255>
Newsgroups: comp.edu
Subject: Re: CS-234 Discussion
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2024 17:46:53 -0000 (UTC)

CS234 <cs234@lhmerino.dont-email.me> wrote:
> This thread is intended for the students of CS-234: Technologies for democratic society
>
> How does Usenet fit into the vision presented by Licklider and Taylor in
> "The Computer as a Communication Device"?
>
> Reflect on:
> - Which aspects of their vision are realized through Usenet?
> - What aspects have evolved differently from what they imagined?
>
> Feel free to respond to comments made by your classmates as well.

Aspects Licklider and Taylor imagined similarly are that the computer would enable
long distance communication and minimise having to travel back and forth for in-person
meetings. Usenet provides a platform for people to chat to each other at their own
discretion. While a phone call requires two people to agree to 'meet', BBS allow users
to communicate at their leisure and enable more effective communication.

However, they overestimated the capacity of technology at the time of Usenet. They
believed that people would be able to have a personal AI assistent (OLIVER) to handle
schduling or menial tasks. This contrasts Usenets true application, which is providing
a democratised, free and open BBS to voice thoughts and opinions.