Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vckfk9$e32a$2@solani.org>

From: Mild Shock <janburse@fastmail.fm>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.prolog
Subject: Re: comp.lang.prolog Frequently Asked Questions
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2024 20:41:15 +0200

To make it more secure, one would need to
edit pack.pl, the current content of pack.pl
is as follows. You need to edit line 6, and
change “http” into “https”:

1 name(pac).
2
3 title('Anonymous predicates expansion utility').
4
5 version('1.9.8').
6 download('http://web.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~mukai/pac-1.9.8.tgz').
7
8 author('Kunaki Mukai','mukai@sfc.keio.ac.jp').
9 keywords([anonymous_predicate,conditional_equation...

https://www.swi-prolog.org/pack/file_details/pac/pack.pl

So it shows a HTTP URL and not a HTTPS URL. HTTP
is insecure, HTTPS would be secure, the letter
S stands for secure. If you don’t want to edit

pack.pl ask your administrator to have automatic
HTTP to HTTPS redirect on the web server:

https://whois.jprs.jp/en/

Disclaimer: I don’t know whether the SWI-Prolog
package manager still works if you do some of
these steps. I assume so, but who knows? HTTPS
seems to be something new here,

although HTTPS was already introduced in 1995
by Netscape. Key milestones in the development
of HTTPS were:

- 1995: Initial introduction of HTTPS with SSL 2.0.
- 1999: TLS 1.0 introduced as an upgrade to SSL.
- 2014: The push for widespread HTTPS adoption
   increased with efforts like Let’s Encrypt,
   which provides free HTTPS certificates.