Article <vcmom6$1l3ue$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vcmom6$1l3ue$1@dont-email.me>

From: Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: OT: For those waiting breathlessly for news of my racing weekend.
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2024 08:28:06 -0700

On 2024-09-21 03:16, -hh wrote:
> On 9/17/24 8:36 AM, Tom Elam wrote:

>>> Leaks on the irrigation system, which has also revealed that its
>>> indoor winter water shutoff valve has a leak too.  Resulted in
>>> ripping out the control valves too, to have easier wall access for
>>> the concrete work; now debating how to change the design while buying
>>> all new to put it back together, and what to do about the inside valve.
>>>
>>> Been debating adding this from YoLink, and if that would do double-
>>> duty or would be for belt-and-suspenders on the seasonal shutoff.
>>>
>>> <https://shop.yosmart.com/products/ys5001-dn15#owl1>
>>>
>>> Similarly, thinking about adding the capability of a rain detector to
>>> save water too; pros/cons of adding a local rain sensor to the
>>> controller, vs going to a "smart" device that checks the weather:
>>>
>>> <https://www.lowes.com/pd/Orbit-White-Wired-Rain-and-Freeze-
>>> Sensor/1043275>
>>> vs
>>> <https://shop.yosmart.com/products/ys4102>

> While mistakes happen, so too does accountability.

I certainly hope so.

Not only is he (in my opinion) lying about his part in both incidents,
it looks like he's playing fast and loose with the rules and--despite
being a Canadian--racing on a US license.

>> Two days before we left for Paris last month a basement water sensor
>> went off. A leak had developed at the water softener's plastic intake.
>
> We've gone for decades without having any modern sensor/alarms, but I
> included two of them on the YoLink order which arrived yesterday.
>

>> I pulled it apart, cleaned it up, put it back on, but the leak
>> persisted. With some spare copper parts I soldered in a bypass and
>> ordered all new parts. If that leak had developed a few days later I
>> hate to think what might have happened in the 2 weeks we were gone.
>> The parts were delayed but finally arrived last week and fixed the issue.
>
> We had a similar luck some years ago.  A holidays trip to family which
> got changed at the last minute from leaving in the evening right after
> work to sleeping overnight and heading out in the morning for the 4hr
> drive.  Washing machine's hot water hose failed catastrophically at 4AM,
> so we caught it within an hour instead of 4 days later.
>
> Since then, the washing machine's water supply gets turned off whenever
> we're not doing laundry.  Of course, with the irrigation work being
> adjacent, pulling the washer for plumbing access revealed that this
> shutoff valve has a slow seep to it (doesn't close off 100%).  So I've
> picked up a replacement valve (they're not really rebuildable) and
> located the torch ... just need to find the solder & flux, as they
> weren't stored with the torch for some reason.
The joys of being a homeowner, huh?

The laundry room in our condo has been torn apart to deal with some
water leaks...

Sigh.