Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vcsl8o$2roqr$1@dont-email.me>

From: Zen Cycle <funkmaster@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Extensive article on Rivendell and Grant Petersen
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2024 17:06:32 -0400

On 9/23/2024 3:35 PM, Roger Merriman wrote:
> Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, 23 Sep 2024 13:54:09 -0400, Frank Krygowski
>> <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> It's natural for people who share preferences to approve of each other.
>>> I'm sure it happens among people who would never dare ride any bike
>>> that's not up to the latest trendy fashion craze!

>>> IOW, your somewhat less trendy bike did fine for you.

>>> Those two paragraphs are echoing the latest advertising themes.
>>>
>>> It's good that the pendulum has finally swung back to reasonable tire
>>> clearance. But billions of cyclists are still stopping plenty well
>>> enough with rim brakes, even when they're wet.
>>>
>>> And millions of "sport" cyclists are still unconfused by (gosh!) two
>>> front chainrings instead of one. (Some of us even have three!) As a
>>> bonus, most with >1 chainring get more gear range than they'd otherwise
>>> have, and without resorting to unusual or proprietary equipment.
>>

>> It appears that the pros are slowly moving toward disk brakes,
>> regardless of them being heavier and taking more time to change a
>> wheel. You can say that the average riders doesn't benefit, but that's
>> just you saying it.
>>
>> --
>> C'est bon
>> Soloman
>>

> I believe road pros are universally disk brakes,

That's correct. It's exceptionally rare to see rim brakes in a
professional peloton anymore, but there are some exceptions. Team Sky
was one of the last to switch over, and did so a few years ago, but IIRC
I think it might be Bahrain Victorious has a rim-brake spec'd bike for
2024, though only for specific races.

Disk brakes do work better. The issue is whether or not your average
recreational/sport rider can actually tell the difference - for the most
part that answer is no (we're talking road riding here, not MTB). For
someone to be able to really feel the difference, they need to be
pushing the envelope downhill and repeatedly using the brakes - as in an
alpine road with a lot of switchbacks. I read an article a few years ago
that interviewed Paolo Salvodelli about disc brakes after he had
retired. Paolo was a top level UCI pro who rode for Saeco for many
years. He was nicknamed "Il Falcone" for his descending prowess. His
comment was that he wished he had disc brakes when he was racing because
'no one would have been able to stay with me' (or something like that).
I've searched for that article but it isn't popping up for me.

--
Add xx to reply