Article <vct4cp$2tpta$2@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vct4cp$2tpta$2@dont-email.me>

From: -hh <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: OT: For those waiting breathlessly for news of my racing weekend.
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2024 21:24:40 -0400

On 9/21/24 11:28 AM, Alan wrote:
> On 2024-09-21 03:16, -hh wrote:

>> While mistakes happen, so too does accountability.
>
> I certainly hope so.
>
> Not only is he (in my opinion) lying about his part in both incidents,
> it looks like he's playing fast and loose with the rules and--despite
> being a Canadian--racing on a US license.

Wheels of justice turn slowly... /s

>>> Two days before we left for Paris last month a basement water sensor
>>> went off. A leak had developed at the water softener's plastic intake.
>>
>> We've gone for decades without having any modern sensor/alarms, but I
>> included two of them on the YoLink order which arrived yesterday.
>>

>>> I pulled it apart, cleaned it up, put it back on, but the leak
>>> persisted. With some spare copper parts I soldered in a bypass and
>>> ordered all new parts. If that leak had developed a few days later I
>>> hate to think what might have happened in the 2 weeks we were gone.
>>> The parts were delayed but finally arrived last week and fixed the
>>> issue.
>>
>> We had a similar luck some years ago.  A holidays trip to family which
>> got changed at the last minute from leaving in the evening right after
>> work to sleeping overnight and heading out in the morning for the 4hr
>> drive.  Washing machine's hot water hose failed catastrophically at
>> 4AM, so we caught it within an hour instead of 4 days later.
>>
>> Since then, the washing machine's water supply gets turned off
>> whenever we're not doing laundry.  Of course, with the irrigation work
>> being adjacent, pulling the washer for plumbing access revealed that
>> this shutoff valve has a slow seep to it (doesn't close off 100%).  So
>> I've picked up a replacement valve (they're not really rebuildable)
>> and located the torch ... just need to find the solder & flux, as they
>> weren't stored with the torch for some reason.
>
> The joys of being a homeowner, huh?

Stuff always wears out...just like we do too.  I found the solder, so I
now have all the tools ... and most of the parts needed for that valve
replacement. It will take a day (without rushing), but it beats a $300
service call.

The irrigation is effectively done; that work is the result of a
trade-off of adding complexity for wanting to automate a chore. I missed
two PVC joints in the gluing-up during final assembly, which resulted in
three 2 hour cure time delays to finish it off.  The new design has all
of the zone valves on a common manifold with Unions on them so that I
can decouple the entire thing and bring it into a non-freezing space
until spring for winterization.  Put the electrical on connector plugs too.

> The laundry room in our condo has been torn apart to deal with some
> water leaks...
>
> Sigh.

Doing it yourself, or paying the bill?  Last time I hired a plumber
(last summer), he was young and didn't know how to solder, which made
extra work for himself.

BTW, on a completely different subject, I should "timely" disclose that
I sold off some TQQQ last week, due to my 12/22/2022 purchase that made
Tommy Seim rant so much (just in case he ever pops back up).  Sell price