Article <vcuvih$39ji0$4@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vcuvih$39ji0$4@dont-email.me>

From: Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Extensive article on Rivendell and Grant Petersen
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2024 14:14:41 -0400

On 9/24/2024 11:42 AM, Catrike Ryder wrote:

> I'm always happy to engage in a friendly discussion, but, IMO,
> friendly discussions don't involve one person criticizing other
> people's and their preferences.
>
> In my opinion, a friendly discussion would be like someone saying,
> "it's interesting that you prefer blah, blah, blah. Can you explain
> why you prefer that?"
>
> When someone tells me or insinuates that I'm wrong, it's no longer a
> friendly discussion.

You might do well to read some of the archives of this group. There have
always been people posting opinions that were factually wrong, and there
have always been people pointing out those mistakes. As I've noted
earlier, having mistakes pointed out is a necessary part of the process
of education.

There are many examples of ideas that were posted frequently, and noted
as wrong. Most of them seldom pop up any more - and not only, I think,
just because there are fewer posts. I think people actually learned things.

Examples of mistaken claims? Chains wear by stretching the metal. Old
frames get "soft." Increasing spoke tension makes a wheel more rigid.
Tying and soldering spokes makes a wheel stronger. Headsets fail by true
brinelling due to impact loads. Hanging a bike by the front wheel makes
the spokes stretch... and many more.

BTW, what was that stopping distance from 20 mph again?  ;-)

>> How weird to spend so much time in a forum whose very purpose makes you
>> angry!
>
> You seem to be the one whose angry all the time.

Sorry, that's just your mistaken impression.

> Your "The "no significant difference" idea baffles a lot of people."
> is an example of that.
>
> Why does that upset you so much?

It doesn't upset me. But it's a mistake, and some people actually learn
things when they see mistakes corrected.

--
- Frank Krygowski