Article <vcvaek$3bhjj$3@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vcvaek$3bhjj$3@dont-email.me>

From: Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Extensive article on Rivendell and Grant Petersen
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2024 17:20:20 -0400
 <vcpiki$29eeg$1@dont-email.me> <vcpu65$2ausd$2@dont-email.me>
 <vcqif4$2hoq2$1@dont-email.me> <VEfIO.1095856$azJ4.449168@fx16.ams4>
 <vcsa02$2q622$1@dont-email.me> <boc3fjlebcqkp6iefao8a13js0nbj8gu50@4ax.com>
 <hqjIO.327263$hKDf.37988@fx07.ams4>
 <l2h3fjdkfie6ht4dscca6n3ulq7thv0l0k@4ax.com> <vcsipj$2rfcq$2@dont-email.me>
 <blm3fj1rj43cu4465m83on9pq3ul18ir0p@4ax.com>
 <JBwIO.2007723$kpic.1270661@fx15.ams4> <vcul5v$37v5r$6@dont-email.me>
 <8mCIO.963726$VK2e.761488@fx01.ams4> <vcut1u$39ji0$2@dont-email.me>
 <BODIO.965889$VK2e.489614@fx01.ams4> <vcv9fn$3bdl7$1@dont-email.me>

On 9/24/2024 5:03 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Sep 2024 18:46:57 +0000, Roger Merriman wrote:
>
>> Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> That's my point. So saying "Discs allowed wider tires" seems inaccurate
>>> at best.
>>>

>> Not really clearly they could of made wide tired rim brake bikes though
>> they would of had to chnage equipment ie callipers that could handle
>> extra width which would be a performance decline, and realistically
>> would become more so as tires got wider.
>>
>> But this wasn’t what consumer wanted ie they wanted disks in many ways
>> needed encouragement to try wider tires.
>
> Good V-brakes REALLY outperform disks under all conditions that I've used
> them in including heavy rain. Disks are there for one reason. To make you
> buy a new frame and fork and special wheels.

I agree with Tom on this point. I don't see the disc takeover of road
bikes as being consumer driven. ISTM instead that within the space of a
few years, if you wanted to buy a bike, you pretty much had to buy a
bike with disc brakes.

As I've said often, none of my riding mates ever complained about their
caliper brakes. Most folks are still using caliper brakes. It's the
folks who bought new bikes - for other reasons, BTW - who are now using
discs.

--
- Frank Krygowski