Article <vcvb78$3bn3d$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vcvb78$3bn3d$1@dont-email.me>

From: Wilf <wilf21@is.invalid>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: RE: Ported Number not working with iMessage
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2024 22:33:28 +0100

On 24/09/2024 at 21:27, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2024-09-24 14:59, Chris wrote:
>
>> It's frustrating that such complicated systems sometimes only respond to
>> such rudimentary solutions.
>
> It's because they're complex that they can get into a state that
> requires a heavier nudge to actually fix.  May have benefits in
> preventing other glitches down the pike too.

Yes indeed.  For over three days, in the AppleID sign-in and security
settings on my iPhone, it said that the number was "Unavailable for
iMessage and FaceTime".  Clicking on the information "I" revealed "You
must have a SIM associated with an Apple device for <my number> to be
used for iMessage and FaceTime".   Over in appleid.apple.com it said the
same thing about my number even though it accepted it as a trusted number.

After 3 days, this Unavailable status disappeared for my mobile number
and it was only then that logging out of iCloud and back in again did
the trick.  But I don't know why it took so long for my number to become
registered by Apple - all the information available suggests that this
process should not take very long at all.

--
Wilf