Article <vd1o9t$3q55o$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vd1o9t$3q55o$1@dont-email.me>

From: Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Extensive article on Rivendell and Grant Petersen
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2024 15:28:59 -0400
 <vcpiki$29eeg$1@dont-email.me> <vcpu65$2ausd$2@dont-email.me>
 <vcqif4$2hoq2$1@dont-email.me> <VEfIO.1095856$azJ4.449168@fx16.ams4>
 <vcsa02$2q622$1@dont-email.me> <boc3fjlebcqkp6iefao8a13js0nbj8gu50@4ax.com>
 <hqjIO.327263$hKDf.37988@fx07.ams4>
 <l2h3fjdkfie6ht4dscca6n3ulq7thv0l0k@4ax.com> <vcsipj$2rfcq$2@dont-email.me>
 <blm3fj1rj43cu4465m83on9pq3ul18ir0p@4ax.com>
 <JBwIO.2007723$kpic.1270661@fx15.ams4> <vcul5v$37v5r$6@dont-email.me>
 <8mCIO.963726$VK2e.761488@fx01.ams4> <vcut1u$39ji0$2@dont-email.me>
 <vd0g4i$3jsgk$1@dont-email.me> <vd1355$3mkcm$3@dont-email.me>
 <vd16n0$3narv$1@dont-email.me> <vd1997$3l9hu$1@dont-email.me>
 <vd1at4$3nokv$2@dont-email.me>

On 9/25/2024 11:40 AM, AMuzi wrote:

> Current selection BTW:
> https://www.yellowjersey.org/SINGLEPV.JPG
> plus these:
> https://www.yellowjersey.org/spmxgrey.jpg
>
> Nothing wrong with V brakes or cantilevers, but people do have their
> preferences and there are tradeoffs so the selection is and has been
> quite broad.

Yep. The fundamental problem, if the brake is to be mounted to the fork
crown, is that a sidepull must have arm lengths at least vaguely
proportional to tire size. That reduces the mechanical advantage of the
caliper, requiring more hand force for a given deceleration. That's the
fact that originally caused me to choose cantilevers.

ISTM that center pull brakes, or their variants, could have less of that
problem, since their arm pivots can be lower than their mounting point.
But they're not currently fashionable.

--
- Frank Krygowski