Article <vd3jqp$5o57$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vd3jqp$5o57$1@dont-email.me>

From: Rolf Mantel <news@hartig-mantel.de>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Extensive article on Rivendell and Grant Petersen
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2024 14:24:57 +0200
 <vcpiki$29eeg$1@dont-email.me> <vcpu65$2ausd$2@dont-email.me>
 <vcqif4$2hoq2$1@dont-email.me> <VEfIO.1095856$azJ4.449168@fx16.ams4>
 <vcsa02$2q622$1@dont-email.me> <boc3fjlebcqkp6iefao8a13js0nbj8gu50@4ax.com>
 <hqjIO.327263$hKDf.37988@fx07.ams4>
 <l2h3fjdkfie6ht4dscca6n3ulq7thv0l0k@4ax.com> <vcsipj$2rfcq$2@dont-email.me>
 <blm3fj1rj43cu4465m83on9pq3ul18ir0p@4ax.com>
 <JBwIO.2007723$kpic.1270661@fx15.ams4> <vcul5v$37v5r$6@dont-email.me>
 <8mCIO.963726$VK2e.761488@fx01.ams4> <vcut1u$39ji0$2@dont-email.me>
 <vd0g4i$3jsgk$1@dont-email.me> <vd1355$3mkcm$3@dont-email.me>
 <vd16n0$3narv$1@dont-email.me> <vd1997$3l9hu$1@dont-email.me>
 <vd1at4$3nokv$2@dont-email.me>

Am 25.09.2024 um 17:40 schrieb AMuzi:
> On 9/25/2024 10:12 AM, Rolf Mantel wrote:

>>> ... and except for almost every bike I own and ride.
>>
>> OK, I should have said "penetrate the market" rather than "reach the
>> market".
>> The "problem" in the past was that road bikes usually had caliper
>> brakes and that for caliper brakes, narrow tires mean better braking
>> performance.
>>
>> By moving to V-brakes, disk brakes or similar brakes, you avoid the
>> constraints of the past, enabling wider tires on road bikes.
>>

> Sidepull and centerpull calipers exist for clearance with many tire
> widths. This is not news.
>  From short:
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/agccat.jpg

Sure they do but by construction, long reach caliper brakes have a lot
of internal losses. The bike builder decides which version of caliper
brake he puts on the bike, and the consumer has to live with the
restriction (only narrow rides, no mudguards etc).

With V-brakes, drum brakes or disk brakes, brake clearance does not have
an influence on possible tire widths.