Article <vd4al4$anap$5@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vd4al4$anap$5@dont-email.me>

From: Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: E-Biikes are not bicycles
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2024 14:54:27 -0400

On 9/26/2024 10:27 AM, Wolfgang Strobl wrote:
> Am Tue, 24 Sep 2024 08:23:03 -0400 schrieb Zen Cycle
> <funkmaster@hotmail.com>:
>
>> I'd suggest you go
>> out on an E-bike for an hour and ride some hills. You'll get a good
>> sense of why "with proper gearing there is usually no need for an
>> electric motor" is a rather myopic comment.
>
> This statement alone proves that e-bikes are not bicycles.   A bicycle
> that gives a weak rider the power of a Tour de France athlete is not a
> bicycle, but a motorcycle.  It does not have the essential
> characteristics that distinguish a bicycle from a motorcycle.

I agree that classifying ebikes as "bicycles" is a sham. It was a
deliberate move by the industry to make sure that these low power
motorcycles would benefit from the laws applied to bicycles, and to make
sure that the public would buy them and not be scared away by the idea
that they are motorcycles.

But I don't believe that anyone can train so they have no need for a
motor. It depends.

On today's club ride, one of my good friends was at the rear, as always.
One somewhat ignorant newcomer to the club has offended her by
"mansplaining" advice on how to climb hills at higher speed. He didn't
realize his four years of riding experience are nothing next to her 40+
years, plus her touring Montana, the Skyline Drive, etc. etc. etc. Fact
is, she has a cardiac problem that will always limit her power. BUT she
has no interest in an ebike.

Another guy on the ride is ~80, will always be somewhat overweight, but
wants to ride with the club for social reasons. When his ebike was
recently out of commission, he was desperately tired trying to keep up
on a very fancy, lightweight conventional bike. The motor and battery
allow him to socialize with his friends.

OTOH, today a guy much younger than me showed up for the first time with
an ebike. I rode with him decades ago, when he was quite strong. He's
not plump and could probably train himself into decent shape if he
tried. When I asked about the bike, he said "But it still gives me a
good workout." I thought "No, not as good. And you're just pretending to
be riding a real bicycle." Long term, he'd do himself more good by
shutting the motor off.

--
- Frank Krygowski