Article <vd8q74$17d93$5@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vd8q74$17d93$5@dont-email.me>

From: The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Alternative to Optical Storage????
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2024 12:44:36 +0100

On 28/09/2024 11:46, Nux Vomica wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Sep 2024 00:13:51 +0200, D wrote:
>

>> Do you do restore tests regularly? If not, it could be that you might not
>> have as many backups as you might think. =/
>>

> Yes.  I will do a random sample on occasion, mostly to satisfy my curiosity.
> Never had a problem.
>
> But most of this data is not critical for me.  I could live without it
> or it could be somewhat easily replaced.
>
> My e-books and music, however, are absolutely essential and must be
> preserved.  Fortunately, these collections are only a few Tb and I
> simply make new copies from time to time.  I also keep copies on
> USB HDD external drives.
>
> What puzzles me is why hasn't implementing a viable long-term storage
> solution become a top priority?  Digital information is here to stay,
> likely forever, and we need a way to preserve it forever without muss
> or fuss.
Because quite simply slightly volatile storage (SSD) is now WAY cheaper
and more bit dense than anything else and is probably at least as good
as a consumer written DVD.

So the solution is permanently powered SSDs existing as multiple copies
in multiple locations. Where is the original Bible backup kept? :-)

Possibly very large laser burned spinning disks can do 4TB,  but a set
of say 4 drives to do it in two places is less than $500

And you simply keep replacing them as they fail with whatever is the
latest technology. And copy the data over

> Unfortunately, consumer-grade optical storage technology is in the
> hands of grubbing capitalists.  As soon as sales fall by 10% they
> will start to leave the market in search of a new fad.

No, it simply isn't something anybody is using any more

YOU want a more permanent high capacity than a tape drive., well that is
in fact a hard drive, or a USB SSD or whatever.

DVD simply wont do the capacity,

  Nothing last forever, not even runes carved in stone. Where are the
ten commandments now?