Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vd8quu$17d93$6@dont-email.me>

From: The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Alternative to Optical Storage????
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2024 12:57:18 +0100

On 28/09/2024 11:56, Nux Vomica wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Sep 2024 21:32:07 -0400, Paul wrote:
>

>> Once you get up to a certain size, they tend to use SSD controllers
>> inside, then a USB converter connected to that. This can radically
>> improve the storage characteristic. The SSD controller has static
>> and dynamic wear leveling. Very few USB sticks have that in a USB
>> controller (but there are some).
>>

> The fact that wear leveling and trimming are required only indicates
> that SSD is an inferior and useless technology.

What an incredibly fucking STUPID thing to say. I might as well say that
hard drives need 'bad block' management and parity checks which only
indicates that spinning rust is an inferior and useless technology.

There are just as many failure rates  - as use of 'smarctl -a' will show
- on spinning rust as on SSD

> Superior and stable NAND ICs are available but they are enormously
> expensive and the grubbing capitalists that control the consumer market
> would never consider them.

They would if cunts like you were prepared to pay for them.

> This is the reason that I do not use SSDs of any kind and still use
> only HDD spinning rust on all my machines.
>
> For long-term storage SSDs are simply unthinkable.

All mine have *already outlasted* my hard drives
For irregular use, like archival,. the dominant failue rate - block
write errors - is fairly irrelevant.

Other issues like bit leakage have not yet become apparent, because SSDs
are only a decade or two old anyway.

Let me say that I have NEVER successfully retired from tape, and
floppies more than 5 years old are hit and miss.

--
"And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch".

Gospel of St. Mathew 15:14