Article <vd9see$1d6gq$5@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vd9see$1d6gq$5@dont-email.me>

From: The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid>
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: The joy of FORTRAN-like languages
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2024 22:28:46 +0100

On 28/09/2024 22:20, John Levine wrote:
> According to The Natural Philosopher  <tnp@invalid.invalid>:
>> The need to speed up BASIC was why I learnt Assembler...
>
> Dartmouth BASIC on the GE 635 compiled your program into machine code
> and then ran it, so it was pretty snappy.  The compiler was so fast that
> it wasn't worth keeping the objsct code around.  They didn't have a linker
> until they added a PL/I compiler that was as slow as PL/I compilers are.
>
> All this running 100 users on a machine the size of the KA-10 PDP-10.
>
>> Then I moved onto C, and that was the best of both worlds really
>
> C was in the sweet spot of being not all that great, but better than any of the
> plausible alternatives at the time.

As far as I was concerned it was heaven. Assembler but 10x faster to
actually write.
And the way it used local variables was magic. Very hard to use the
stack as a scractc pad in assembler - you have to keep track of so many
offsets

I started out on BDS C which had sever limitations, not the least was
promoting everything 8 bit to 16 bit to do comparisons etc.

And simply 'compiler confused - giving up' on many more advanced
declarations.

But I wrote quite a bit in that.

Then I moved on to PCS and C on an IBM PC was way faster.

--
“it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus