Article <vdatb6$1l4ch$8@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vdatb6$1l4ch$8@dont-email.me>

From: The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid>
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: TeX and Pascal [was Re: The joy of FORTRAN]
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2024 07:50:14 +0100

On 29/09/2024 06:44, 186282@ud0s4.net wrote:
The only ones I came to HATE
>    were LISP/PROLOG and ADA - the latter being SO fascist
>    that, well, no WONDER govt projects take 20 years ....
Well yes, that what happens when you let computer scientists take over.

I knew someone who ran a small company doing low level programming fir
their custome hardware.
One day one of the coders said 'lets do the next one in C++'
So they did, and a year later realised that before you wrote C++ you
have to sit down and write some or of spec to show what objects you are
going to need to create etc etc.
In the same way I always write down a crude 'data dictionary' whenever I
am implementing any sort of file based data system. And especially an
SQL based one

But they didn't. They tried to hack it and it was a disaster.
I hate OO.

It is a compsci invention that doesn't map well onto an actually CPU
which is a procedural beast.

Most of its vaunted advantages can be attained by writing C in a
structured way and others like operator overloading are just damned
confusing.

I don't WANT to use the same syntax to add two strings together as to
add two numbers.

I found that out in JavaScript where a comparison between a string  "1"
and a number 1 failed on IE but worked on Firefox.

I had found an 'undefined' gap in the language.

In C you are absolutely aware at all times what type of object you are
dealing with and if you move to another one it's via an explicit cast.
Or if implicit, you normally get a compiler warning.

In C if you want to deallocate RAM you say so. It doesn't silently
collect garbage under your feet and take a millisecond to do it

Javascript silently just does what it *thinks* you meant. And gets it wrong.

In short there is a layer of uncertainty built into modern languages
that attempt to map abstract compsci concepts into actual procedural code.

Which is why C is probably still the most popular  language.

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels