Article <vdjto8$39db1$14@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vdjto8$39db1$14@dont-email.me>

From: The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid>
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: The joy of FORTRAN
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2024 17:52:24 +0100
 <vd5195$edas$1@dont-email.me> <59CJO.19674$MoU3.15170@fx36.iad>
 <vd6vto$r0so$1@dont-email.me> <iJEJO.198176$kxD8.81657@fx11.iad>
 <3hOdnWpQ649QMGr7nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@earthlink.com>
 <vd8doi$15q07$1@dont-email.me> <vd8eg7$15v1j$2@dont-email.me>
 <cxicnVzg_cn_eGX7nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@earthlink.com>
 <vdapbn$1kp35$5@dont-email.me>
 <xD2dnSerYr-8kmf7nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@earthlink.com>
 <llv25bFa6uvU2@mid.individual.net>
 <n-ednbNVDrThwWf7nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@earthlink.com>
 <1114392917.749421134.280786.peter_flass-yahoo.com@news.eternal-september.org>
 <WHudncjyj7eEHGb7nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>
 <lm2u9aFs3voU6@mid.individual.net> <vdj5v7$35p9c$19@dont-email.me>
 <lm5amtF93p4U2@mid.individual.net>

On 02/10/2024 17:29, rbowman wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Oct 2024 11:06:31 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>
>> The cost benefit is against the top down "we will write the whole
>> detailed spec before we write a line of code" idea  that in my
>> experience is actually worse.
>
> I worked on one project like that, endless meetings arguing over paragraph
> headings. I left after six months out of boredom. I'd been doing some
> moonlighting for another employee who had his own thing going. The next
> spring when I talked to him about my tax documents I asked if they'd
> written any code yet. The answer was 'no'. It was a DoD project so you can
> understand the cost overruns and poor results.
>
> The danger is after so much time and money is spent preparing the spec it
> will be implemented even if problems are found. A whole chain of managers
> that signed off on it aren't going to admit there is a problem.

My nemesis was Z notastion  It was software for an undersea optical
fibre repeater, based on an 8086 IIRC.

It was a year behind and in a complete mess, so they hired hundreds of
programmer, not one of whom knew what they were supposed to be doing.
There was one guy there who could code hardware and I reckoned if it had
been us two, we would have thrown away the specs and RMX 86 and done  it
bare metal  in 6 months.

What had happened is that some wanker of a compsci had decided to write
the spec in something called I think Z notation, and then had blindly
tried to map that onto a functional spec, and then I think he had left
before the shit hit the fan.

I spent a miserable 6 months and produced nothing of any worth because
no one could tell me what my bit was supposed to actually do.,

All the project needed was to draw up a basics state machine to decide
what actions to take against the limited number of inputs, and pretty
much have a main loop polling all the inputs, and twiddling the output
bits.  No real time OS, no preemptive multitasking nothing complex. Just
a state machine that said 'if  the inputs are like this, do that' for
around 128 cases.

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)