Article <vdju5s$39db1$15@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vdju5s$39db1$15@dont-email.me>

From: The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: The "Good" Old Days - Complete Specs for DX-10 Operating System
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2024 17:59:40 +0100

On 02/10/2024 17:43, Rich wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.misc 186282@ud0s4.net <186283@ud0s4.net> wrote:
>> The 990 series used the TMS-9900 chip and near variants.  This was an
>> odd chip - kept the CPU registers out in ordinary RAM and could
>> switch quickly between different sets of registers.  At that time,
>> the external RAM and CPU kinda ran at the same speed so little was
>> lost putting the registers in RAM.
>
> The 6502 did something similar.  It wasn't as far down the path as the
> TI chip, but page zero (first 256 bytes of ram) acted a lot like an
> 'extended register file'.  There were even addressing modes that used
> two consecutive bytes of "page zero" as a 16bit pointer into the rest
> of the RAM one's system had installed,

The 6502 was an excellent little beast. I never programmed one myself,
but I know people who did,  and my friend who worked on the original
Acorn machines said it was pretty fast compared with a Z80 etc

Working with that is what led to the Acorn Risc Machine, which we all
know and love as the ARM architecture

They couldn't afford to make a big chip, so they worked on an extremely
small one, and gave it an instruction set that was minimal, but powerful
.. Just like the 6502.

--
     “I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the
greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most

     ― Leo Tolstoy