Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vpqmvi9085oj07o6et9t0o0dnivcgsk28b@4ax.com>

From: John Levine <johnl@taugh.com>
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: a bit of history, Stealing a Great Idea from the 6600
Date: Sat, 4 May 2024 19:29:48 -0000 (UTC)

According to Thomas Koenig  <tkoenig@netcologne.de>:
>John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> schrieb:
>
>> It is my impression that
>> trapping on fixed point overflow is not very useful, and it's easier
>> to do a jump on overflow in the few cases where you care, or the x86
>> INTO which you put after the arithmetic operaion to trap if the
>> overflow flag is set.
>
>Sanitzers would benefit greatly from trapping math.
>
>However, this could get into murky territory - to be really
>general, you would also need a version for trapping math with
>unsigned numbers.  Just think of doing a unsigned loop with a
>lower bound that, due to some error in the code or input, has an
>upper bound of 0-1...

I suppose but my experience was always that the trap was the easy
part. Figuring out what to do after the trap happens is much harder.
I've seen designs with instructions like "trap if greater than N" so
if you want to go that route, you can check for the range the
programemr declared rather than whatever word size it was rounded up
to.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",