Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vqo74jlhcdh68941jdkmfc3u80cnlvcu4a@4ax.com>

From: shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: New ATF regulation on Safer Communities Act of 2022 in effect; the law made nearly all sellers gun dealers
Date: Tue, 14 May 2024 18:21:47 -0400

On Tue, 14 May 2024 21:14:27 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>After the massacre at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, Congress
>did something about gun control. The bipartisan Safer Communities Act of
>2022 was the result.
>
>Despite intense negotiations, it turns out that not a lot of thought was
>put into legislative language and, once again, it was left up to ATF to
>write regulations that would determine when criminal law would apply.
>
>The law intended to close the "gun show loophole". Congress being
>Congress, instead of making the instant background check available for
>all people selling firearms, you know, one of the problems they were
>trying to address, they instead turned almost everyone selling a gun
>that they had previously used for personal protection into a dealer
>required to register under federal law and THEN make them run the
>background check. The regulation to enforce this provision, once again
>this is a criminal law provision, is now in effect.
>
>You are a dealer based strictly on your intent to make a profit regardless
>of whether you are in business and regardless of whether you've made a
>profit.
>
>The lawyer who did the video is a criminal defense attorney who makes
>other videos on how to retain your rights during police stops. He points
>out that this new onus is on the seller and not the buyer, who does not
>face new restrictions. Therefore he's concluded that this law won't keep
>buyers intending to commit crimes from buying guns.

But it will make any number of sellers into criminals. Now if I own a
gun and decide I want to get rid of it but my neighbor says "Let me
give you some $$ for that weapon" then even if I were legally allowed
to do it if I didn't register as a seller then I'm a criminal. Unless
they've got a specific provision that allows for this sort of sale
without registering with the ATF.