Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<vugc6jdgl02g73dt0eqb3750hdhrsfga0b@4ax.com>

From: john larkin <jl@650pot.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Quantum mystics
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2024 17:15:59 -0700

On Sun, 9 Jun 2024 20:00:52 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

>On 6/9/2024 5:07 PM, Martin Brown wrote:
>
>>> That's hardly usual, or a reason to call him wrong. He won the Nobel
>>> Prize just to get free plane tickets.
>>
>> I'm not quite sure what he has said that annoyed JB - usually any
>> popular science programme for a general audience dumbs down quantum
>> mechanics to a point where it is completely unrecognisable to
>> professional physicists.
>
>The general public tends to be exceptionally mathematics-averse. Even
>many people with advanced degrees in fields outside the hard sciences
>tend to be pretty math-averse.

People are different. I like it that way.

Most people don't need much math. Hardly anyone uses algebra, much
less number theory or calculus. They manage to buy enough paint for
the living room, or enough chickens to feed a family gathering.

Simulation has taken a lot of math out of engineering. I do only
primitive algebra and no calculus. We have used some number theory to
design DDSs and frequency synthesizers and such.