Article <wwvo75eicla.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<wwvo75eicla.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>

From: Richard Kettlewell <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell,comp.unix.programmer,comp.lang.misc
Subject: Re: Python (was Re: I did not inhale)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2024 09:39:29 +0100
	<20240815182717.189@kylheku.com> <v9npls$1fjus$1@dont-email.me>
	<v9t204$2dofg$1@dont-email.me> <va28pi$3dldm$1@dont-email.me>
	<va2ro9$3gd7v$1@dont-email.me> <va2vt0$3h3gj$1@dont-email.me>
	<va44rh$3p1l6$1@dont-email.me> <va45eq$3pkt9$1@dont-email.me>
	<va4aut$3q4g0$1@dont-email.me> <va4fbr$3qvij$1@dont-email.me>
	<va5108$3tmmd$1@dont-email.me> <va51ok$3tqr9$1@dont-email.me>
	<va5ec2$3vluh$1@dont-email.me> <va6q4g$c1a7$1@dont-email.me>
	<va6rpa$c6bg$1@dont-email.me> <va6se9$cb8e$1@dont-email.me>
	<20240826083330.00004760@gmail.com> <vaises$2k7o6$2@dont-email.me>
	<20240826155113.000005ba@gmail.com>

John Ames <commodorejohn@gmail.com> writes:
> But even if that helps you organizationally, it doesn't resolve issues
> of the interpreter potentially mis-parsing things due to mismatches in
> tab/space factor between $EDITOR and the Python RTE, which is a truly
> ridiculous thing to have to be concerned about.

In many years of using Python routinely and extensively I’ve simply
never found the whitespace issues that people are worrying about here to
be a problem in practice. Some of this may be a matter of experience but
if so, it’s a form of experience that must have built up very quickly.

As an aesthetic objection, of course, there’s no accounting for
taste. But it doesn’t seem to be a practical problem in reality.

(In contrast C’s rules have occasionally been a practical problem,
contributing to at least one high-profile software vulnerability and
attracting compiler warnings to mitigate the risks.)

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/