Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<xn0ok3f4tewzxni004@news.eternal-september.org>

From: "Dexter" <not@home.com>
Newsgroups: alt.atheism,alt.christnet.christianlife,alt.bible,alt.religion.christian.catholic,talk.politics.misc,soc.culture.israel
Subject: Re: Happy Easter, Everyone!
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 16:26:59 -0000 (UTC)

Dawn Flood wrote:

> It's going to be a fun day today!  Hopefully, I will only weigh slightly more
> tomorrow morning than I do now!!
>
> What happened 2,000 years ago?  I think that the Romans, after crucifying
> Jesus and after all his friends (likely, his women followers) had left the
> area, took his body off the cross, burying it a short distance away from his
> place of execution.  They did so to leave no impression of the "tail having
> wagged the dog", after having "given in" to the Jewish leaders demands to
> have had Jesus executed; however, the Romans left the bodies of the two other
> condemned men where they were.
>
> On Sunday morning, a group of several women, all of whom were illiterate and
> all of whom believed that they lived on a surface of a flat disc, went to the
> place of Jesus' execution and saw that this body was gone but that the
> ghastly remains of the two other men were present.
>
> In their grief, they concluded that God had raised Jesus from the dead, and
> after rushing back to wake the sleeping men, the meme began!
>
> Have a blessed Easter everyone!!
>
> Dawn

That's not an unreasonable explanation, but not the simplist one;
that his body was left to rot on the cross like other common
criminals.  And the oral tale enhanced over the years by those
who were not present.  That enhanced but questionable oral
narrative was then finally recorded in writing some 60 years
or so after the actual event.

Was he dead for two days, or three?