Attention: The Usenet Article Lookup site has been updated.
The code for this site has been ported from Perl to PHP, so you could say, it is in beta mode. Please contact me if find any problems, or have any suggestions. -- Howard
Deutsch   English   Fran├žais   Italiano
<k10n1o$5d6$1@dont-email.me>

From: Paul <nospam@needed.com>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Re: Access a local drive without a drive letter?
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 15:20:25 -0400

Bert wrote:
> Windows XP Pro SP3
>
> Is there any way, from the command line or programatically, to access
> files on a drive which doesn't have a drive letter assigned?
>
> It's a normal drive, local to this machine, with an NTFS file system and
> ordinary directories and files, but has had the drive letter removed.
>
> Yes, I can assign a drive letter if I need to, but I'd just like to know
> if I really must.

mountvol /?

should list the GUID for the volumes. I notice the values are
different, using that command, than looking in HKLM\System\MountDevices.

They show an attempt to access a volume via GUID, here.

http://virtuallyaware.wordpress.com/2008/07/23/volume-guids-ways-to-viewaccess-the-files-within/

First, mountvol returned this...

    "Possible values for VolumeName along with current mount points are:

     \\?\Volume{ed012da7-78f1-11e0-a53f-001fc68cdcf4}\

    "

And then in DOS, I did...

    dir \\?\Volume{ed012da7-78f1-11e0-a53f-001fc68cdcf4}\\

and it listed the files on the root of that volume.

Mountvol should only return info for things with a mapping, so
you might need to assign a letter, run mountvol, write down the
value, remove the drive letter, and see what happens.

Just a guess,
    Paul