Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<1gVl3rxPUV00dlzx-pJNmblnRUA@jntp>

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Firefox bug - something broke.
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 21:52:58 -0000 (UTC)

noscript <september@noulin.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 19:43:41 +0000
> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> It seems tio be an interaction between firefox and certain external
>> things and the internal 'ET phone home' firefox software. Anyway, its
>> all working now and you know where to look if it catches you out
>
> I usually disable telemetry like this:
>
> * about:config **browser.cache.disk.enable** = false
> * about:config **browser.cache.memory.enable** = false
> * about:config **browser.cache.offline.enable** = false
> * about:config **browser.cache.offline.storage.enable** = false
> * about:config **browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl** = false

They disable the cache. What's the cache have to do with telemetry?

> * about:config telemetry set to false, and telemetry.rejected set to
>  true

Those settings are not found (not even as defaults), but the
about:telemetry and about:studies pages show that telemetry is
disabled in my Firefox configuration.

> * about:config **network.trr.mode** = 5 (disable trusted recursive
>  resolver dns over https by choice)

That's a handy one, though apparantly the browser is supposed to
prompt you to opt-in when they decide the time is right anyway.

I notice at the end of the bug report discussion they're talking
about changing the network.http.http3.enabled setting in the future
because people might have toggled it as a temporary fix and
forgotten about it. So continues the endless cat and mouse game of
the Firefox developers swapping around about:config settings and
users who genuinely want those setting to work having to hunt
around obscure forum threads in order to find the name of the new
secret config. concoctions.

--