Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<20240421185337.4a468be0@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

From: Nigel Reed <sysop@endofthelinebbs.com>
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: power loss while receiving news
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 18:53:37 -0500

On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 13:58:42 +0200
Julien =C3=89LIE <iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hi Nigel,
>=20
> >> I'm in a situation where I've been receiving an innxmit feed to
> >> populate a new news server.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, after 992GB, we had a power outage and my UPS died
> >> without a clean shutdown.
> >>
> >> Now, I'm paranoid my index is corrupt and not sure what to do about
> >> it.
> >>
> >> I'm using cfs on this new system.
> >> =20
> >=20
> > To add more detail. I am definitely missing some articles.
> >=20
> > $ grephistory '<q34v5519vru4fco5d14eradn3iksal3ihr@4ax.com>'|sm
> > sm: could not retrieve @03024359434E475331000F8053BA00000001@
> >=20
> >=20
> > I have to got back 675 lines in the logfile before I am able to
> > retrieve an article. =20
>=20
> I would then just suggest to run again innxmit on the sending server
> for these 675 articles.
> Yet, the number of missing articles seems high.  The CNFS headers are=20
> updated every 25 articles by default.  Did you change the
> cycbuffupdate setting in cycbuff.conf?  (Or do you have lots of
> cyclic buffers, as the refresh is related to each buffer, separately?)
>=20
> grephistory gets information from the history file which is flushed=20
> every 10 articles by default (icdsynccount setting in inn.conf).
>=20
> Overview data is usually written less frequently on disk; it depends
> on the overview storage method you are using (after each article
> arrival for tradindexed, according to the transrowlimit and
> transtimelimit settings in ovsqlite.conf for ovsqlite, the txn_nosync
> setting in ovdb.conf for ovdb, and the ovflushcount setting in
> inn.conf for buffindexed).
>=20

No, no changes to the cycbuff.conf file and I only have two buffers,
one for test messages that I don't want to keep around and one for
everything else.=20

My expire.ctl already has /remember/:0 so we're good there.

I can delete the last 675 entries from the history file, will that just
cause the overview record to be recreated? What about the history.hash
and history.index files? I can't believe it's as easy as removing a few
lines from history and starting the transfer at the point of the last
missing message.

--=20
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23