Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<61c42b66$0$6462$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

Subject: Re: Early photos from space
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
From: JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 01:02:51 -0400

On 2021-05-27 17:51, Jeff Findley wrote:

> But, I'd imagine that Dragon would not be completely powered down simply
> because you wouldn't want to chance that it wouldn't power back up in an
> emergency.  And if that's the case, I'd imagine that SpaceX would be
> monitoring it 24/7.

But if a ship is docked to station, it is possible its own radios are
powered down and it is connected to the world via the ISS's comms
infrastructure.

Even if SpaceX developped a command/control protocol that gives each
ship its ID, allowing it to send commands to a specific ship when many
are in the air, there is the issue of ground station and TDRS network.

Each SpaceX ship needs to exist as its own routable entity so commands
from Hawthorne know which ground station and TDRS satellite to use to
reach that one ship.

Obviously, Shuttle and ISS were independantly routable, but were each
orbiter independnt from the others or were there all considered the same
ship from point of view of ground stations and TDRS?

And back in Gemini days, did both ships transmit telemetry constantly,
and if so, how did they co-exist without crushing each other's
transmissions?