Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<62acb175$0$2974$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

From: Mike Spencer <mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere>
Newsgroups: hfx.general
Subject: Re: Science Quiz
Date: 23 Jan 2022 23:22:47 -0400

HRM Resident <hrm902@gmail.com> writes:

> Mike Spencer <mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:
>
>       >snip<
>
>> All good.  Do you want to play again? ;-)

> I'll respond to your post sometime tomorrow.

All good.

> Query:  Are you still on slow Internet?

No but I am to some extent data-limited. I appears that watching
movies, f'rgzample, would shove the cost up pretty high so I don't do
that.  It's a Telus SIM card + data plan in an Oxygen 3 gateway
device.  (I'm not getting the best out of the O-3 because I don't
understand part of the manual.  Do you know a lot about how such
things work?  Has to do with how DHCP is handled interacting with
fixed IP addresses for the LAN in 192.168.0.0/16.)

> I understand that a lot of upgrades were (or are currently being)
> done.

There is a Plan in Lunenberg Municipality.  I have the map and it
includes our place.  In fact, it looks as if the boundary had a bulge
put in (as in the Sharpiegate Alabama hurricane) just to include our
3-house hamlet.  Last summer, they finally moved the phone & power
lines out of the woods to new roadside poles and before it got cold,
someone strung some new unidentified cable along part of out road.
No more news or developments since.  MODL  funding ran out?  Other
priorities at telco?  Who knows?

> It's for you that I snip posts.

No need to do that especially for me.  Just don't send me any
unsolicited 500 M photos or 2 G videos.  OTOH, snipping unrelated
material is good nettiquette and reduces visual clutter.

> On a slow link, there's nothing more aggravating than someone
> quoting 2-3 pages and adding a 5 word response at the bottom!

See "clutter", above.

And web sites that discovered circa 1994 that they could generate lots
of eye candy to keep the marketing depts happy by using numerous
instances of 5K GIFs of 5-letter words -- dark side of "picture worth
1,000 words".

> Been there with dial-up at 300 and 1200 baud modems in the 1990s.

My first computer (Osborne I) was a ball of fire for its time and
supported 2400 out of the box.  I used that a lot to log into MIT's
Athena system and Dal's VAX and biz school DEC Unix workstation.
Until last year, was doing ca. 34K with a modem. (The modems are 56K
but the phone lines and/or providers seem not to support it.)  Peggy
still is doing that for email but also has a cell phone that goes fast.

--
Mike Spencer                  Nova Scotia, Canada